An alert neighbor extinguished a structure fire on the city's east side Thursday afternoon around two o'clock.
Jerry Beach smelled the fire at Brian Mees' 548 Eastern Avenue residence.
Beach doused the rear porch fire with a garden hose.
The Bellefontaine Fire Department said the blaze started in an outside cigarette ash pot.
The fire broke out a window and damaged the siding and soffit.
No one was injured.
The fire caused about $5,000 worth of damage.
Fire crews were on scene for about 30 minutes.
Mees was not home when the fire started.