One of the most popular New Year’s resolutions each year is to “lose weight.” It can also be one of the most difficult resolutions. However, there are some ways you can stick to your goals in the new year.
Judy Vito, of Judy’s Jazzercise in Bellefontaine, has a few tips on how to accomplish your weight-loss goals in 2013.
Listen to Judy Vito discuss healthy tips for 2013
- Take time to de-stress. Stress during the holiday season can trigger bad eating habits. Take a few minutes each day minutes to relax in order to avoid falling into these bad habits.
- Be a picky eater. It’s OK to be choosy at holiday parties. There are often lots of snack foods or buffet style meals at these types of parties and it can be difficult to make healthy choices. Choose the healthiest options available like vegetable and fruit trays.
- Don’t beat yourself up over bad choices. It’s normal to struggle with exercise and nutrition throughout the holidays. Instead of dwelling on bad health choices you’ve made, use the New Year as a reason to refocus and begin making more positive choices, more often.
- Moderation is key! By filling up on vegetables and fruit, you won’t be as tempted to eat so many sweets and sugary foods. Sweet treats are OK to nibble on from time to time—in moderation.
- Work toward eating foods that have nutritional value. By eating meats like fish and chicken and working in one to two servings of vegetables at each meal, you can avoid the starchy foods that can make weight-loss goals a challenge.
- Find an activity you enjoy and stick with it. Choose a form of exercise you enjoy whether it’s walking, biking, dancing, or even jazzercise, and be consistent with it. If you get burnt out on one form of exercise, find another type that you enjoy in order to stick to your goals.