The Ohio State Highway Patrol has announced that as of the past week, a sub-post has been opened in Hardin County to better serve the motorists and residents in the area.
The Findlay post, located in Hancock County, but also providing services for Hardin County, is operating from an office located in the BKP Ambulance building at 439 South Main Street in Kenton.
Troopers working in Hardin County can use the sub-post to meet with the public in order to complete crash reports, enter case investigations into the computer system, and process evidence, with no additional costs.
“A sub-post in Hardin County will allow the Findlay Post to provide a more consistent level of service to the residents of Hardin County”, said Lt. Matthew Meredith, the Findlay Post Commander. “The establishment of this enhanced presence in the county is another way in which the Ohio State Highway Patrol is contributing to a safer Ohio.”
In 1933 the first Ohio State Highway Patrol class graduated and was assigned to six districts across the state, with each district have three substations. These substations were initially located in private residences. The last major organizational change to the structure of the Patrol occurred in 1953.
In January 2012, a plan was outlined to reorganize the Patrol’s structure to continue providing a high level of service at a reduced cost. By January 1, 2013, the Patrol will have completed the reorganization from ten districts to eight. Headquarters for the eight districts will be in Findlay, Bucyrus, Warren, Piqua, Columbus, Cambridge, Wilmington, and Jackson.
As part of the reorganization, plans are to establish sub-posts in the 31 resident counties that do not have stand-alone posts to ensure appropriate traffic safety services and coverage in all of Ohio’s 88 counties.
Area motorists and residents in need of Patrol services should contact the Findlay Post at 419-423-1414.