listen live
West Liberty, OH

Holycross provides city's view of fountain theft incident (Audio included)

Bellefontaine City Council conducted their final meeting in October Tuesday night. The theft of $2.87 out of the city fountain and the public outcry that followed was the main topic of conversation.

According to Service-Safety Director Jim Holycross, feedback has come from as far away as Dubai questioning the handling of the incident. With the attention Bellefontaine is receiving, Holycross, out of necessity, clarified the city’s position:

--the city is concerned with the well-being of the person involved. There are opportunities available for that person to have a better life and the city can provide assistance.

--in this situation, the police officer acted appropriately given how the circumstances were presented. Police are asked everyday to make decisions on the spot.

--police reach out to citizens. For example, it is not uncommon for officers to purchase someone’s meal or give them a coat in the winter.

Holycross discusses fountain theft ramifications.

The city has put the proposal to convert their vehicles to use compressed natural gas (CNG) on hold. Utilities Committee head David Haw felt the initial cost of conversion was too much money for the city to take on given the city’s tight budget. Both Haw and Mayor Adam Brannon agreed that if a local entity would supply the gas, the city would remain interested. Haw feels that it is the fuel of the future.

Brannon discusses the future of CNG.

David Haw opposes CNG.

A bid was accepted and funds appropriated for the building of a bridge along the Simon Kenton Bike Trail. The winning bid was $91,885, which was under the $95,000 budgeted for the project.  75% of the project will be state-funded; the other 25% came from money generated by the Simon Kenton Pathfinders.

Prior to the meeting, a hearing concerning the vacation of three alleys on the west side owned by Mark Brumbaugh was held. An ordinance will be presented at one of the upcoming council meetings.

Holycross reported that airport hangar construction is progressing and that the project should be completed by mid-December.

Leaf pickup begins next week. Residents are reminded to keep the leaves out of the street and to limit the piles to only leaves.

City Council will meet again on November 12th at 7:30 p.m.

We encourage open dialogue among people who may disagree. Difficult conversations must be had sometimes to make progress. If you disagree, please disagree respectfully. Cruelty will not be tolerated. This is a family friendly group.
Enter to win tickets to see Alabama in concert
bike tracks
Become our Friend
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Make us Your

This site was created by RiverBender.com
Copyright © 2018 Peak of Ohio
PeakOfOhio.com · WPKO 98.3 FM · WBLL 1390 AM
1501 County Road 235, Bellefontaine, OH 43311-9505
Phone 937-592-1045 · Fax 937-592-3299 · EEO Report