listen live
West Liberty, OH

Logan County Transportation Museum construction underway (Audio included)

Logan County's rich transportation history will be showcased in a new location by next fall.

The Logan County Historical Society hosted a groundbreaking (pictured) for its Transportation Museum addition Friday afternoon at the Logan County Museum, 521 East Columbus Avenue, Bellefontaine.

The 15,000-square foot transportation museum addition will be built in the spirit of the Big Four Railroad Roundhouse (pictured below) that operated in Bellefontaine throughout much of the 20th century. The addition will be attached to the current Logan County Museum. The facility will house several of the museum’s larger vehicles, including a 1947 A.J. Miller Cadillac hearse built in Bellefontaine, a railcar used in the Bellefontaine railroad yard in the 1940s, a WA-6 airplane built by local aviator Clarence Wissler, a covered wagon from the early 1800s, and a 1921 Howe Fire Truck used in West Liberty, as well as vehicles on loan from Honda of America. The second floor of the addition will house the museum’s archives and the Logan County Genealogical Society.

The $3-million Logan County Transportation Museum addition is made possible by an Ohio Department of Transportation grant awarded to the Logan County Historical Society. The grant will pay for 80% of the project ($2.4 million) with the remaining 20% coming from donations made by local industries, businesses, and individuals. The major donors include Honda of America, Honda Transmission Mfg., Transportation Research Center, Rowena Reames Estate, AcuSport/Berry Family Foundation, Citizens Federal Savings & Loan, AGC, Belletech Corp., JoAnna Cost Memorial, Dwight & Bonnie Hansen, Mary Eleanor Morris Fund/Columbus Foundation, and Karen Beasley.

Logan County Historical Society President David Wagner emceed the groundbreaking. He praised architect Karen Beasley for putting together the plans for the new facility. Her detailed presentation was vital to landing the multi-million dollar grant.

(Pictured, left to right: David Wagner and Dorothy Pelanda)

State Representative Dorothy Pelanda (R-Marysville), Honda Community Relations Manager Caroline Ramsey, and ODOT Business and Human Resource Administrator Donna Slagle spoke during the ceremony.

Robertson Construction Service of Heath is the general contractor.

The new museum should be finished by next November. Listen to Curator/Director Todd McCormick discuss the special day.

Listen to ODOT’s Donna Slagle talk about the project.

We encourage open dialogue among people who may disagree. Difficult conversations must be had sometimes to make progress. If you disagree, please disagree respectfully. Cruelty will not be tolerated. This is a family friendly group.
web surveys
Become our Friend
on Facebook
Follow us
on Twitter
Make us Your

This site was created by RiverBender.com
Copyright © 2018 Peak of Ohio
PeakOfOhio.com · WPKO 98.3 FM · WBLL 1390 AM
1501 County Road 235, Bellefontaine, OH 43311-9505
Phone 937-592-1045 · Fax 937-592-3299 · EEO Report