The following story has been submitted by the Logan County History Center:
By: Mary E. Mortimer
For generations of Indian Lake visitors, White Cottage Park at Russells Point offered the simple pleasures of lakeside summers: fresh air, fishing, boating, and rows of bright white cottages near the water. Salathiel and Keturah Prater opened White Cottage Resort on their farm at Russells Point in the spring of 1898 with six cottages. By August 1904, the Praters advertised that “the summer houses at White Cottage Resort, Lewistown Reservoir, are engaged until fall. The rush there this season has been remarkable.”
The Praters rented their property for camping and fishing parties. In June 1898, the Lunatic Fishing Club from Conover and Lena pitched their tents there and spent the week fishing. One member stated, “Mr. Prater is a whole-souled, good-natured fellow who extended a hearty welcome and many courtesies and privileges, including excellent stable room for the horses and good boats and fishing tackle.” The club caught 2,058 fish during its stay.
Salathiel Prater served in the Civil War with Company H of the 96th Ohio Infantry Regiment. Around 1908, the Logan County Old Soldiers Association began holding its annual reunions at White Cottage Resort.


In December 1918, the Praters sold White Cottage Resort and Prater’s Landing to Peter and Bessie Schlegel of Prospect, Ohio. The resort was renamed Schlegel’s White Cottage Park, and the landing became Schlegel’s Landing. The Praters kept their home at White Cottage Park and looked forward to continuing friendships with the many visitors they had met over the previous twenty years.
In November 1921, the Schlegels announced plans to build ten new cottages, bringing the total to sixty-six. All the cottages were painted pure white, and 108 maple trees were planted. In August 1923, they purchased fifty more lots and planned to erect additional cottages.
Many of the cottages were rented months in advance, often for the entire season. Rates ranged from $2.50 to $8 per day, or from $14 to $35 per week. The resort advertised three types of cottages:
“Type 1: Fully equipped for camping with dishes, cooking utensils, electric lights, gas for cooking, cold running water in the kitchen, and inside toilets.
Type 2: Fully equipped as Type 1, except with hot and cold running water in the kitchen and a bath with shower.
Type 3: Fully equipped as Type 2, with an additional electric refrigerator.”
“Note: On all types we furnish bedding but no linens of any kind. Bed linens may be rented at our office; rate 75 cents per bed. We have two to seven-room cottages with accommodations for two to ten persons. Extra cots equipped: single $1.50.”

White Cottage Park included a tennis court, picnic grounds, playgrounds, ice delivery on the grounds, natural gas for cooking, and a grocery store within a short distance of every cottage. The store carried a complete stock of groceries, soft drinks, and fresh meats. The resort also advertised “sixty row boats, all kinds of fishing tackle and fish bait at reasonable prices.”
Peter Schlegel died in December 1939, and his wife, Bessie, continued to operate the resort. In 1944, Nathan and Gail Coon purchased Schlegel’s White Cottage Park. The Coons also owned and operated the Coon Lumber Co. in Russells Point.
In May 1951, the Coons advertised “70 cottages, 75 boats, a laundry for patrons, dock facilities for all watercraft, a bait and tackle supply store, and a nearby grocery,” which had been sublet by Carl Broseke for the second season. The advertisement added that “fishing has been good on the open water off White Cottage Park, and there are good swimming facilities at nearby Silver Isle Beach.”
A mechanical diorama was added to White Cottage Park in May 1960. Featuring tiny, animated figures going through their daily chores, the hand-carved display was created by Ben B. Dowell of Sidney and attracted hundreds of visitors during its first year at the park.
Eugene and Inez Newman purchased the White Cottage grocery store in 1963. Before moving to Indian Lake, the Newmans had been involved with a large chain grocery store in Dayton for twenty years. Among the improvements they made was off-street parking on the east side of the store. They also reopened the lunch counter, which had been closed.

Nathan and Gail Coon owned and operated White Cottage Park until April 1969, when they sold it to Charles Tavenner. The park closed around 1973, and some of the cottages were removed to make way for new condominiums.
For more than seventy years, White Cottage Park welcomed vacationers seeking a comfortable place to stay while enjoying Indian Lake’s many attractions. Close to Sandy Beach Amusement Park, dance halls, roller skating, swimming, boating, and fishing, the resort remains part of the lake’s long tradition as a gathering place for recreation, relaxation, and summer memories.
Visit the Logan County History Center to learn more about interesting aspects of Logan County history. The History Center is open for tours Wednesday through Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Admission is free.







