The Bellefontaine Board of Education heard an in-depth back-to-school update at their monthly meeting Monday night.
Superintendent Brad Hall and Director of Administrative Services Roger Ely led the presentation.
Hall reported that transportation is one of the biggest challenges at the beginning of each school year.
“Bus routes can also be found on the BCS website highlighted in blue under the school calendar at https://www.bellefontaine.k12.oh.us/cms/One.aspx?portalId=826726&pageId=67842137 or under the Transportation tab in Quick Links.”
Hall noted that BCS transports 1,000 students each day. Middle school and high school students will ride on the same route. The other combined route will include elementary school and intermediate school students.
Here are the school hours for each building.
- Bellefontaine High School – 7:20 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
- Bellefontaine Middle School – 7:15 a.m. to 2:45 p.m.
- Bellefontaine Intermediate School – 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Bellefontaine Elementary School – 8:45 a.m. to 3:45 p.m.
The school year starts on Tuesday, September 5th.
The board also approved the cafeteria rates for this year. The district will offer free breakfast to all students.
Here is a breakdown of lunch prices:
High School/Middle School
- Lunch – $2.25
- Reduced Lunch – $.40
Intermediate School/Elementary School
- Lunch – $2.00
- Reduced Lunch – $.40
- Extra milk will cost $.55 for students in grades K-12.
- Breakfast – $2.00
- Lunch – $3.75
- Milk – $.55
Ely gave an overview of the federally-funded high school renovation project. The new 300-ton chiller was installed over summer break. The chiller will cool the BHS gymnasium. It also incorporates fresh air and CO2 sensors for a healthier air environment. New windows and seven new doors were installed at the high school this summer, which will save on heating expenses. All the doors at BHS were rekeyed over the break. Three main doors were replaced at Bellefontaine Intermediate School recently. Each door is equipped with card reader locks. Finally, seal coating was performed on the driveway to Bellefontaine Elementary School this month. Twenty-plus parking spaces were added to the BES parking lot in July.
Marc Stakey and Matt Heaston provided a technology update to board members. New terminals have been added to lunch lines, tech forms have been moved to Final Forms, and 2,000 Chromebooks were repaired and cleaned up this summer.
In personnel, the board accepted the resignations of these employees:
- Aaron Gregor – Arts/TV Production
- Jill Roode – Language Arts
- Bill Branan – Maintenance Worker
- Amanda Fisher – Custodian
- Diane Hartzler – Food Service Worker
- Margarita Shell – Food Service Worker
Other personnel, the board hired the following employees:
- Mark Butler – Chieftain Pride Lab Academic Advisor
- Ashton Childs – 2nd Grade
- Tasidee Fagg – Kindergarten
- Heidi Heacock – High School Art
- Olivia Starkey – Intervention Specialist
Bill Tipple was placed on the salary schedule at BA 10 (bachelor’s degree with 10 years of experience) based on his extensive experience in the field of media production.
Costin Family Practice was approved as the medical provider to BCS for ’23-’24 at the annual fee of $1.00.
The following substitute teachers were approved:
- Madeline Baird
- Gay Brunswick
- Trista Denbow
- Kristen Elton
- Phil Forsythe
- Aliya Furton
- Karis Garcia
- Frank Giannola
- Tricia Hefner
- Beth Overs
- Boris Pattison
- Beth Powers
- Karen Rader
- Madison Rader
- Tom Rose
- Heather Shaw
- Joni Siler
- Karl Smith
- Mary Smith
- Sara Stahler
- Sharon Traul
- Virginia Vieros
- April White
- Maureen Yoder
The following substitute employees were approved:
- Robert Ball – Bus Driver
- Paula Blair – Custodian
- Kimberly Collier – Educational Aide
- Aimee Costello – Van Driver
- Trista Denbow – Educational Aide
- Mary Dillard – Food Service Worker
- Martha Earick – Custodian
- Tonya Finch – Van Driver
- Amanda Fisher – Custodian
- Tim Garman – Van Driver
- Linda Halterman – Food Service Worker
- Debi Henry – Secretary
- Toni Houchin – Educational Aide
- Victoria Huffman – Van Driver
- Amy McIntyre – Food Service Worker
- Valerie Neeley – Van Driver
- Mike Puhalla – Bus Driver
- Doug Roberts – Bus Driver
- Lisa Ropp – Food Service Worker
- Lou Ann Sanford – Food Service Worker
- Randy Schoeck – Bus Driver
- Shelby Sellers – Bus Driver
- Eva Skaggs – Food Service Worker
- Kim Taylor – Custodian
- Glenna Yelton – Bus Driver
- Maureen Yoder – Educational Aide
Extended time was approved for these employees:
- Morgan Fultz – Strength& Wellness Instructor – 9 days
- Eric Hamm – Intermediate School Guidance – 10 days
- Brice Henry – Vocal Music – 10 days
- Jeremy Karg – Instrumental Music – 10 days
- Julie Kurtz – Middle School Guidance – 10 days
- Shalie Logan – High School Guidance – 20 days
- Lindsey Maus – Middle School Guidance – 4 days
- Rebecca O’Rielley – High School Guidance – 20 days
- Jake Kennedy – Marketing Education – 10 days
- Paula Shaw – High School Guidance – 20 days
- Dawn Spangler – Elementary School Guidance – 5 days
- Bill Tipple – Television/Communications – 25 days
The following supplemental contracts were approved:
- Meghan Ashcraft – High School Girls Basketball Head Coach
- Brooke Bahr – Middle School Basketball Sideline Cheer Head Coach
- Jim Ball – High School Boys & Girls Tennis Assistant Coach
- Jason Calton – Middle School Site Manager (Fall & Winter)
- Johnny Boling Maurice – Middle School Wrestling Assistant Coach
- Delmar Fogan – 8th Grade Football Assistant Coach
- Morgan Fultz – Boys/Girls Weight Room Coordinator
- Brady Hiatt – High School Girls Wrestling Head Coach
- Chelsea Johnson – High School Swimming Assistant Coach
- Connor Kellogg – High School Boys Soccer Assistant Coach
- Jane Kline – High School Bowling Head Coach (50%)
- Jane Kline – High School Bowling Assistant Coach (50%)
- Alysia Kuba – High School Competition Cheer Head Coach
- Aaron LaBatt – High School Boys Wrestling Head Coach
- Sharon Lewis – High School Swimming Head Coach
- Cam Mitchell – 8th Grade Boys Basketball Head Coach
- Mike Mosbarger – Middle School Boys Basketball Assistant Coach
- Tammy Overholser – High School Bowling Head Coach (50%)Tammy Overholser – High School Bowling Assistant Coach (50%)
- Hunter Pool – High School Boys Wrestling Assistant Coach
- Tom Rose – 7th Grade Boys Basketball Head Coach
- Kyle Spence – Middle School Wrestling Head Coach
- Henry Stolly – High School Boys Basketball Head Coach
- Heather Storm – High School Basketball Sideline Cheer Head Coach
- Theresa Vigansky – 8th Grade Girls Basketball Head Coach
- Michelle Zedeker – High School Girls Basketball Assistant Coach
The following volunteer coaches were approved:
- David Overholser – High School Bowling
- Brad Rader – High School Girls Basketball
- Jeremy Ryan – High School Bowling
- Randy Varner – High School Girls Basketball
Finally, the board approved bus routes and curriculum for the ’23-’24 school year.
The next board meeting will be on September 11th at 6:30 p.m. in the Distance Learning Center at BHS.