American Farm Bureau’s market basket survey shows Ohioans will pay more for strawberries, cookies, pork & beans, and chips than the rest of the country.
U.S. consumers will pay slightly less for their favorite Independence Day cookout foods, including cheeseburgers, pork chops, chicken breasts, homemade potato salad, strawberries, and ice cream, based on a new American Farm Bureau Federation market basket survey.
The average cost of a summer cookout for 10 people is $67.73, which breaks down to less than $7 per person. The overall cost for the cookout is down just 3% or about $2 from last year, with prices being impacted by higher feed costs for livestock, reduced cattle inventories due to drought, and a less-than-favorable potato crop. However, as a result of ongoing inflationary factors, the current price tag for a summer cookout is still 14% higher than just two years ago.
“I think it is important to put our nation’s food supply in a global context,” said AFBF Chief Economist Roger Cryan. “Americans spend a smaller percentage of their income on food than people in any other country in the world thanks to a vibrant agriculture sector supported by strong farm bill programs.”
Survey results showed the retail price for 2 pounds of ground beef at $11.54, up 3% from last year.
Other foods in the national survey, including pork chops, homemade potato salad, and hamburger buns, also increased in price, while chicken breasts, lemonade, and cookies declined in price compared to a year ago.
Ohio/Logan County survey results:
For Ohio shoppers, the summer cookout receipt will be slightly higher than the national average for the same market basket items at $68.88, with the biggest differences being noticed in strawberries (33% higher), cookies (28% higher), pork, and beans (20% higher) and chips (7% higher).
Ohioans will pay substantially lower prices on items like chicken breasts (17% lower), ice cream (14% lower), hamburger buns (8% lower), and potato salad (7% lower).
Overall, Logan County came in just under the state average costs for a cookout at $64.41.
Individual Prices for Ohio/ Logan County:
- 2 pounds of ground beef, $11.98/$11.84
- 2 pounds of boneless, skinless chicken breasts, $6.74/$5.94
- 32 ounces of pork & beans, $2.92/$1.96
- 3 pounds of center-cut pork chops, $14.34/$17.04
- 2.5 quarts of fresh-squeezed lemonade, $3.76/$2.58
- 2.5 pounds of homemade potato salad, $3.20/$2.99
- 8 hamburger buns, $2.09/$1.98
- Half-gallon of vanilla ice cream, $4.57/$2.67
- 13-ounce bag of chocolate chip cookies, $4.98/$4.97
- 2 pints of strawberries, $6.08/$4.48
- 1 pound of sliced cheese, $3.36/$2.98
- 16-ounce bag of potato chips, $4.86/$4.98