The Bellefontaine City Council met in regular session Tuesday evening.
Police Chief Chris Marlow informed the council that the department will be hosting two community outreach events in August. The department will host National Night Out on Tuesday, August 1 at 5 PM in Brown Park. The event will be full of games, food, and much more. The department also plans to host their Annual Safety Event on Saturday, August 19, beginning at 3 PM. That event will feature several area agencies with their equipment, bounce houses, games, dunk tanks, and much more. Located at Southview Park, this event will also be the location of the BPD’s Annual Chicken Dinner. You can see more details on the events at https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100064453221887
Special guest, Pat Ellis, President of the Bellefontaine Parks & Rec Board, approached the council about possibly putting a .267% tax increase levy on the ballot in November for improvements to the city’s parks. The matter was referred to the finance committee for consideration. Kris Myers, Bellefontaine Parks & Rec Superintendent explains more:
The levy would allow important updates to city parks as well as the pool. Other items will also be updated, as identified in the Master Plan.
The following ordinances were adopted:
- 23-29 – A resolution authorizing the law director, auditor and/or Bellefontaine Municipal Court Prosecutor to apply for and accept a certain community corrections act grant from the State of Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections for the operation of the probation department at the Bellefontaine Municipal Court.
- 23-30 – A resolution authorizing the law director, auditor and/or Bellefontaine municipal court prosecutor to apply for and accept a VOCA grant from the Ohio Attorney General’s office and to execute all documents relevant to this grant.
- 23-24 – An ordinance amending section 303.08 of the codified ordinances of the City of Bellefontaine regarding impound and storage fees.
The following ordinances were passed on first reading only:
- 23-31 – An ordinance to approve, adopt and enact the 2023 replacement pages to the codified ordinances of the city of Bellefontaine.
- 23-32 – An ordinance authorizing the service-safety director and police chief to enter into a memorandum of understanding with the Bellefontaine City School District for the provision of a seasonal school resource officer.
- 23-33 – An ordinance vacating that certain public east-west alleys between lots 1901 and 1934 on the north, and lot 1902 and lot 1935 on the south, in the City of Bellefontaine, Lake Township, Logan County, Ohio.
- 23-34 – An ordinance vacating that certain public north-south alleys between lot 416 on the west and lot 415 on the east, and that certain public east-west alleys between 415 on the north and lot 418 on the south in the City of Bellefontaine, Lake Township, Logan County, Ohio.
You can attend the next Bellefontaine City Council Meeting on July 11th at 7:30 PM in council chambers.