U.S Marshals Track Suspect to Bellefontaine; Dies of Self Inflicted Gun Shot Wound


In a press release early Saturday morning, Bellefontaine Police Chief Chris Marlow stated:

“During the late evening hours of December 1st, 2023, just before midnight, officers of the Bellefontaine Police Department received information from the U.S. Marshals Service and members of their Task Force that a homicide suspect was likely in the Bellefontaine area. The information provided indicated that an individual had killed two individuals in Wood County, West Virginia, had fled the area in a stolen vehicle, and was now at the Comfort Inn in Bellefontaine. A member of the U.S. Marshals Task Service Force was able to confirm that the stolen vehicle was at the Comfort Inn located at 260 Northview Drive in Bellefontaine. This individual was considered armed and extremely dangerous.

Based on the information provided, several members of the U.S. Marshals and their Task Force met with members of the Bellefontaine Police Special Response Team. After developing additional information, and due to concerns of the safety of all persons involved, the motel was secured and rooms surrounding the room of the alleged suspect were evacuated.

After ensuring the safety of the public, the U.S. Marshals and the Bellefontaine Police Special Response Team attempted to make contact with the suspect. Almost immediately, a single gunshot was heard from within the room with no communication or other observed activity. Following a long period of further attempts to communicate, entry was forced into the room where the suspect was found deceased from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound. All evidence was processed and secured to assist authorities in West Virginia.

The Bellefontaine Fire Department and Deputies from the Logan County Sheriff’s Office assisted at the scene. In all, members of the Marshals Service, Officers, Deputies, Firefighters, and Medics were on the scene for several hours and no other injuries were reported.

The investigation is ongoing and the identity of the suspect is being withheld pending notification of his next of kin.”