The West Liberty-Salem Board of Education met in regular session Thursday evening.
In school funding for the 2023-’24 school year, there’s been a huge investment by the state in public education and in private school vouchers. Positives from this investment include the state has increased school funding for schools and has increased the inputs in the Fair School Funding Model, which provides a more equal funding system for students.
There have been many facility improvements on campus this summer. Some include maintenance items such as seal coating the asphalt and general concrete repair. In addition, the football field was irrigated to allow the field to become a better playing surface. The concession stand buildings have also been maintained, as well as new signs have been installed, such as the new athletic complex sign.
Superintendent Kraig Hissong explains school funding for next school year and summer campus facility improvements:
Board members approved several items:
- Approved Mike Louden for the part-time position of MS Physical Education/Health Accept the recommendation of the Superintendent and MS Principal, at 3.76 hours per day
- Approved the following individuals as contract substitute teachers for the 2023-2024 school year, Glenn Warren (Full-Time 7.75 hrs/day) and Mike Louden (Part-Time 3.99 hrs/day)
- Approved the resignation of Stephen Knight from his full-time bus driver position effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
- Approved Tina Copeland as a full-time custodian beginning July 24, 2023, on a one-year contract for the 2023-2024 school year
- Approved the following individuals as substitute custodians for the 2023-2024 school year based on all requirements being met, Pete Kenton, Jim Smith, and Megan Fain
- Approved Amanda Johnson to move from a 3.0 hour/day to a 6.5 hour/day Food Service worker for the 2023-2024 school year
- Approved Rachel Snow to move from a 3.0 hour/day to a 3.92 hour/day Food Service worker for the 2023-2024 school year
- Approved the resignation of Lisa McNeely from her food service position effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
- Approved Amanda Brown and Rebekah Troyer as Co-Title I Coordinators for the 2023-2024 school year and split the Title I coordinator stipend 50% each
- Approved Mikalia McIntosh as a part-time, 3.92-hour para-professional on a one-year contract
- Approved the staggered start for the 2023-2024 school year for grades K-5 to assist in the beginning of the year testing and data collection
- Approved Allison Wygal for communication specialist services. The contract begins on July 1, 2023, and will conclude on June 30, 2024
- Recognized Diane Deitrick as hired and board approved on July 7, 2023, by the Superintendent
- Approved the MOU between the WLSEA and the WLS Board of Education for the hiring of the Two Temporary Contracted Substitute Positions
- Approved Erica Hartshorn as a full-time intervention teacher, on a one-year contract
- Approved the resignation of Monica Hartzler from her Elementary Intervention Position effective at the end of the 2022-2023 school year
- Approved the following non-certified/non-WL-S individuals as coaches for the 2023-2024 sports season, Ashley Boy, Assistant Varsity Girls Soccer
- Approved the resignation of Rex Stapleton as the Fall Weight Room Advisor and approve him for the position of Assistant MS Football Coach
- Approved the resignation of Lindy Stapleton from her Assistant Varsity Girl’s Soccer position effective immediately and approve her as a volunteer coach for girls’ soccer for the 2023-2024 school year
The Senior Citizens Athletic Pass is currently at age 70 to be eligible for the lifetime free home event pass. Other local school district requirements for Senior Citizen passes are lower than age 70, such as 60, 62, and 65. Board members agreed that the current age requirement should be lowered from age 70 and is a little on the high side.
There is an option of accepting credit cards at the concession stand and gate entrance. Accepting credit cards is planned for this next school year, but the process has not been finalized yet.
The next West Liberty-Salem Board of Education meeting will be held Wednesday, August 16 at 6:00 pm.